Part 2: FAFSA Documents Needed

Documents Needed to Complete the FAFSANow is the time to start gathering the necessary documents to help you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You must complete the FAFSA in order for the U.S. Department of Education to determine your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and your eligibility for the federal student aid programs.  Your FAFSA information is also used by state education agencies and schools to determine your eligibility for state and school aid.

Here is a list of documents that you and your parents will need to help you complete the FAFSA such as:

  • Social security number (which can be found on social security card)
  • Driver’s License (which is optional)
  • W-2 Forms for the previous year
  • Records of other untaxed income received such as welfare, Social Security or veteran’s benefits, AFDC, TANF, ADC, and military or clergy allowances
  • Most recent Federal Income Tax Return and your spouse’s (if you are married)  such as: IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040Telefile, foreign tax return, or tax return for US territories.
  • Parent’s Federal Income Tax Return for the previous year (if you’re a dependent student as defined by federal guidelines)
  • Current bank statements and records of other savings and investments such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
  • Business or farm records (if this applies to you and/or your parents)
  • Documentation that you are a U.S. permanent resident or other eligible noncitizen.

Members, login to your account and review Step 1: Financial Aid Basics for full details on ‘When and How to complete your FAFSA’ and ‘Avoid Common FAFSA Mistakes.’

Comments are closed.